DELIVERED TO DANGER
Between January 2019 and January 2021, the Trump administration forced tens of thousands of asylum seekers and migrants, including at least 16,000 children and nearly 500 infants under the age of one, to return to Mexico under the “Migrant Protection Protocols”—better known as the “Remain in Mexico” policy. This website includes resources and ways to take action.
SOURCES CITED IN THE HUMAN IMPACT AMICUS BRIEF
- Human Rights Watch, “Like I’m Drowning” Children and Families Sent to Harm by the US ‘Remain in Mexico’ Program
- Human Rights First: Any Version of “Remain in Mexico” Would be Unlawful, Inhumane, and Deadly, Sept. 2021
- Human Rights Watch: “We Can’t Help You Here” US Returns of Asylum Seekers to Mexico, July 2, 2019.5
- Kids in Need of Defense (“KIND”), Forced Apart: How the “Remain in Mexico” Policy Places Children in Danger and Separates Families
- Human Rights First, Forced Returns to Mexico: At Least 1,544 Publicly Reported Cases of Murder, Rape, Torture, Kidnapping & Other Violent Assaults, Feb. 19, 2021.
- (IMUMI & BAJI) S. Priya Morley et al., “There is a Target on Us” – The Impact of Anti-Black Racism on African Migrants at Mexico’s Southern Border (2021)
- Human Rights First, Fully End the Migrant Protection Protocols: Ensure Safety for All Subjected to Horrific Policy, April 2021
- Human Rights First: Delivered to Danger: Illegal Remain in Mexico Policy Imperils Asylum Seekers’ Lives and Denies Due Process,Aug. 2019.
- Human Rights First: Julia Neusner, Kennji Kizuka, & Ana Ortega, A Shameful Record: Biden Administration’s Use of Trump Policies Endangers People Seeking Asylum, Human Rights First (Jan. 13, 2022).
- Human Rights First: Julia Neusner & Ana Ortega Villegas, “Nothing Humane About This Process”: Biden Administration Launches “Remain in Mexico” Revamp at El Paso Port of Entry